As the only facility of its kind within the Latin American and Caribbean region, The Belize Zoo delicately combines all the fascination and appeal of a stereotypical zoo with a well monitored conservation effort which allows native wildlife to flourish within its unique natural habitat. The zoo is located 29 west of Belize City, a convenient 45 minute bus ride from Belize City, rendering it accessible to guests from Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker or stop-over visitors who wish to sample the splendor of the pristine Belizean wilderness without venturing too far from Belize City.
Certainly, the zoo’s most attractive feature is its user friendly layout consisting of a variety of well constructed walkways, spacious viewing platforms, and interactive exhibits which allow visitors to get up close and personal with the animals behind the safety barriers of carefully re-created habitats. Each exhibit is intricately tailored to the specific species which it showcases by the use of all indigenous shrubs and trees as well as the inclusion of well landscaped ponds and wetlands.
The over 175 animals representing 45 species of mammals, birds, and reptiles include the country’s most revered national symbols particularly the colorful keel-billed toucan, the majestic tapir or “mountain cow”, and rare black orchid in addition to the towering jabiru stork, elusive black jaguar, and playful howler monkeys.
After a leisurely stroll around the winding walkways of the 28 acres compound visitors may purchase a souvenir at the fully stocked gift shop, enjoy a picnic lunch in the spacious playground area adjacent to the parking lot or opt to enjoy a hearty Belizean meal in the café adjacent to the gift shop.
Price: US175 per person (There is a minimum of 4 guests maximum of 12 to book as its a private tour)
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Belize City, Hotel, Accommodations, Airstrip, Water Taxi|
|DEPARTURE TIME||Please be ready at least 15 minutes before departure|
Please bring along sunblock, cap, bug repellent. Please note that there is a minimum of 4 persons for this excursion. There are no kids prices (adult prices apply from 4 years up)! there is no charge for infants under 3 years.
The Belize Zoo Tour – The Directors Cut is led by Founding Director and Award-Winning Environmentalist, Ms. Sharon Matola. There is no other animal experience in the world to match this special Belize Zoo journey. Many close up encounters with the animals of Belize are shared. Among these are:
The following information is the different types of ENCOUNTERS you’ll be doing while touring with Ms. Matola.
- Junior Buddy (spotted Jaguar) Encounter. Here you get a full introduction on Jr Buddy’s background. You also get to see him up close and you get to see Jr doing an All-up too. .
- Rocky (spotted jaguar) Encounter. Here you get to give Rocky a High Five with a brief description of his background. You get to touch him a little and also you get to take as many picture as you like.
- Toucan Encounter. Here you get a brief introduction on the toucan background and you will be able to feed and interact with the toucan. Also you can take many photo-up the toucan.
- Tapir Encounter (Mountain Cow). Here you get a brief introduction on most of our tapirs and you get to feed and touch the Tapir also. Unlimited photo-ups is allowed with the tapirs.
- Close up encounter with the Harpy Eagle and a Face-to-Face with a Jabiru stork, the tallest flying bird in the Americas
- Also a special visit with Chiqui the well-known orphaned jaguar, rehabilitated at the zoo and another Meet and Greet with Springfield the jaguar and Lindo the Jaguar….ex-Problem Jaguars now living as “ambassadors” for their species.
The Belize Zoo Tour – The Directors cut is a 2 hour plus tour and at the end of the tour, it includes a signed book from Ms. Sharon Matola. It’s best to wear long pants and closed up footwear since you’ll be entering some of our animal enclosure. VIP TOUR usually commences at either 10:30 am or at 2:00 pm and is only available from Monday to Saturday. VIP TOURS must be book at least 10 days in advance with full payments. The Director’s VIP Tour allows encounter time with quite a few of our animals, including Jr. Buddy the jaguar.